[coreboot] Documentation for using util/vgabios with coreboot?

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Jul 24 21:04:28 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 06:02:15PM -0500, Ken.Fuchs at bench.com wrote:
> If one doesn't have/want to use a commercial VGA BIOS with coreboot ...
>
> ... how does one use util/vgabios with coreboot and integrated video?

util/vgabios is meant for testing if a certain VGA BIOS binary
can/will work if it is included in coreboot. So you need the VGA BIOS
to use testbios.

> Since the video signal is being generated by the chipset, it seems
> that coreboot must do some video related chipset initialization
> prior to running testbios (util/vgabios).

Actually not, testbios can hopefully initialize the graphics using
the factory VGA BIOS.

> I assume this has been done on a few boards using coreboot v2.

Yes, a few chipsets.

> Is there any documentation describing what needs to be done?

In a word: modesetting.

> Can anyone describe the status of util/vgabios?

I believe it works, I reused parts of testbios today.

//Peter