[coreboot] flashrom and list of computers

Ludwig Jaffe luja at openhardware.de
Fri Jun 6 15:08:53 CEST 2008

Hi together!

Lets rewrite / improve flashrom!

I would like to see an universal function-pointer approach for the
flash-dev handling, as I stated before in this mailing list.

For detection of flash the flash-identification according to the
manufacturers can be used, so all functionpointers for the
detect-routines can be tried.

To detect the mainboard I would additionally suggest looking for strings
in the bios (if original-bios is used). For Coreboot, I would suggest to
have a short text with manufacturer, board model, chipset, cpu so string
search can find something.
Not to fall over all garbage the string search has to be filtered with
known names as compaq, hp, ibm, asus, phoenix, award, and the like.

Using DMI is better for newer boards having DMI.

So one can build different strategies for identifiing the mainboard. And
use a functionpointer approach to do special tasks for the boards
e.g. switching the bios to flash (some boards have a 2 bios-sockets)
e.g. unprotecting the boot-block.  (e.g. my compaq SFF PC needs P34
soldered in and closed.) So an appropriate text has to be printed, if the
board can not automagically disable write-protection etc.
e.g. do other fancy stuff like unlocking the case.

Who is in charge for flashboot?
We should organize and manage the change-requests for that little piece
of soft.

Kind Regards

LuJa