[coreboot] flashrom and list of computers

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Jun 6 17:13:15 CEST 2008

Hi,

does anybody have an idea what to do if ICH6 BIOS Lock is enabled and
BIOS Write is disabled? Removing the lock bit seems to fail according to
flashrom.

On 06.06.2008 16:55, walter harms wrote:
> Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>
>> On 06.06.2008 09:10, walter harms wrote:
>>
>>> my idea was to use dmidecode that i can get informations like that:
>>>
>>> Handle 0x0100
>>>         DMI type 1, 25 bytes.
>>>         System Information
>>>                 Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
>>>                 Product Name: OptiPlex GX280
>>>                 Version: Not Specified
>>>

>> Sometimes dmidecode also has information on BIOS size. Having that info
>> as well would be nice.
>>

> Handle 0x0000
>         DMI type 0, 20 bytes.
>         BIOS Information
>                 Vendor: Dell Inc.
>                 ROM Size: 512 kB
>

>> If there are machines where flashrom does not find a flash chip, please
>> run flashrom -V.
>>

> attached

Thanks.

Found chipset "Intel ICH6/ICH6R", enabling flash write...
BIOS Lock Enable: enabled, BIOS Write Enable: disabled, BIOS_CNTL is 0x2
tried to set 0xdc to 0x3 on Intel ICH6/ICH6R failed (WARNING ONLY)
FAILED!

Dell has locked the BIOS against writing. We try to unlock it, but we fail.

Does the BIOS have any settings like "BIOS/Flash write protection" or
something similar?

> note: please understand that i have no intention to run ./flashrom -w before i am totaly
> sure that i can revert that.

OK. Good decision.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel