[coreboot] VIA Northbridge K8T890 and SiS Northbridge: SiS 761GX

Marc Jones Marc.Jones at amd.com
Fri Jun 6 18:56:07 CEST 2008

bari wrote:
> Anyone know why the VIA Northbridge K8T890 in the SVN in the southbridge
> directory?

Because it isn't really a northbridge. In an Intel system the
northbridge contains the memory controller. So MC init code is in the
northbridge directory. On AMD processors, the northbridge is integrated
on in the CPU so you see CPU directories under the northbridge
directory. The southbridge directory is used for chipsets like the
K8T890 Hyptertransport tunnel with a PCIe bridge. Other examples of this
are the AMD 8111/8131 and Broadcom 5780/5785.

Maybe we should consider renaming the directories to be more clear.
northbridge -> memorycontroller
southbridge -> chipsets

> Why didn't the SiS 761GX make it into the SVN at all?

No idea, can you bump that patch thread?

Marc

--
Marc Jones
Senior Firmware Engineer