[coreboot] coreboot BIOSisms

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Tue Jun 10 19:20:32 CEST 2008

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:33:29 +0200, Rudolf Marek <r.marek at assembler.cz>
wrote:

>> Like I said why not just have a mini program between the two that
> handles
>> this operation. It could be added to coreboot or legacybios as an option
>> module. The mini program would read the coreboot tables and what ever
> else
>> it needed and then set these tables up in a format that coresponds with
>> legacybios, and finally passes the tables to legacybios. Does it have to
> be
>> more complicated than that?
>>
> Yes if ACPI is involved. Please do try to get ACPI support working for
> your board. Or look at least on DSDT table
> from the "normal" BIOS. The whole thing with ACPI is not matter of
> simple tables. ACPI needs to know
> a LOT about the BOARD, CHIPSET, CPU. You cant have that in separate
> payload. It is not matter to re-invent all the tables.
> ACPI contains its own bytecode, what are you suggesting is building in a
> runtime compiler for the the tables, not
> telling about the source code for the tables ;)

Correct me if I am wrong, currently we don't create the ACPI tables. We
just use a hex version from the original bios correct? Why not just pass
this along to legacybios and covert it if needed?

> This is the reason why I really want to have this in coreboot. If you
> dont like it do not compile it in.

That's why I think we should just make it an option module.

Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux
www.settoplinux.org