[coreboot] [patch] mkelfimage intelligent placement of ramdisk

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Jun 10 23:58:58 CEST 2008

Myles Watson wrote:
>>> I was hoping it would fix qemu's problem with a LAB kernel, but it
>> doesn't
>>> change the behavior.
>> I have no idea what a LAB kernel is, but if your qemu is using the qemu
>> standard BIOS (not coreboot) you could try wraplinux instead of
>> mkelfimage.
>
> Thanks for the pointer.  I'm curious why it wouldn't work with coreboot,
> since it produces an ELF or NBI file.

https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/Notes/Coreboot
I wrote some notes here.  H Peter Anvin (of kernel fame) wrote wraplinux
from scratch because mknbi has such terrible code and has been dead for
so long.  He was unaware of the existence of mkelfimage at the time.

He said wraplinux relies upon "int 15h, AX=2401h (unless A20 is enabled)
and int 15h, AX=E820h (for probing memory)".  He indicated that he
really dislikes the design of coreboot and will likely never support it.

wraplinux worked for me with qemu's standard BIOS + Etherboot like used
in kvm.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com