[coreboot] coreboot and embedded controllers, for example OLPC and its OpenEC code

bari bari at onelabs.com
Thu Jun 19 22:55:53 CEST 2008

Jordan Crouse wrote:
> On 19/06/08 15:23 -0500, Ken.Fuchs at bench.com wrote:
>
>> coreboot needs to have a solution/framework/interface for dealing
>> with embedded controllers.  The trend seems to be that mainboards
>> will have more of these as time goes by.  For existing boards,
>> coreboot may be able to load the existing embedded controller
>> code, but for new designs with coreboot firmware, the embedded
>> controller code will have to written from scratch and obviously
>> will require a toolchain and debugging tools.
>>

> When done right, the embedded controller will be transparent to
> coreboot.  If you need a solution / framework / interface
> for dealing with custom embedded controller code, then the
> openEC project isn't doing a very good job.

Exactly!

What is the ultimate dream here? To develop replacement open firmware
for existing embedded controllers
that have been used for years mainly in laptops and servers?

To develop open firmware for embedded controllers that oem's and odm's
will use in new designs in the future?

I understand why someone that enjoys tinkering with laptops and servers
might like this. I'm not sure that the odm's and oem's will be
interested in an open solution unless it is very stable and very well
supported.

-Bari