[coreboot] r3378 - trunk/util/flashrom

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Sun Jun 22 19:14:32 CEST 2008

Peter Stuge wrote:
>> Sorry, I don't like this ...
>>

> Don't like the self-ack or the actual change?

yes.

>> it's not cleaning up but changing the behavior.
>>

> I agree this is a change in build system behavior and for that reason
> it might not have been so nice to self-ack. However, it harmonizes
> flashrom with pretty much every other tool I have built. It's not
> very common for "make clean" to leave the binary around, thus I think
> the change (making flashrom's build system more intuitive) is trivial
> enough to self-ack.
>
> As always I am very open to discussion!

I don't think this gets better by extending the discussion. It's far
easier to fix the few scripts this breaks than to start another lengthy
discussion.

We might want to consider dropping distclean completely, by the same
reasons you brought for your current behavior.

I checked the other makefiles around and most of them indeed clean the
binary in make clean, not make distclean.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613