[coreboot] flashrom: Remove dead M-Systems Disk on Chip code

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Thu Jun 26 14:02:59 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 08:52:18AM -0700, ron minnich wrote:
> I agree that we should never remove working code. The DoC code never
> worked, sadly, and we instead were lucky enough to have mtd to use for
> read/write of DoC. parts.

Do you have a HOWTO or URL?

> But DoC is mostly dead IMHO. M-systems never figured out the
> importance of open interfaces. Does anyone use DoC any more?

Well not really "use", but I do have some older GX1 systems in
production here which do have DoC in them (which I currently don't
use as I have no idea how to program them etc.).

I think I tried some mtd utils a few months back but without much
success -- maybe bugs, maybe I just don't understand how this DoC
stuff is supposed to work in general; it sure is a strange piece of
proprietary hardware/software indeed. I read something about special
closed-source DOS tools you need to "format" the thing first and whatnot...

Uwe.