[coreboot] Intel rumers spreading??

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Mon Jun 30 19:18:03 CEST 2008

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 18:28:37 +0200, Ward Vandewege <ward at gnu.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:18:47AM -0400, Joseph Smith wrote:
>>
>> Maybe it is just me, but it seems like lately there have been a lot of
>> posts to the mailing list about, coreboot not supporting ANY Intel
>> chipsets/cpu's. Is there rumors spreading around the mill??? If so we
> need
>> to nip this in the bud, this is probably discouraging people that want
>> get involved with coreboot.
>
> Well - look at it from the other perspective. Intel's being difficult.
The
> more obvious that becomes, the more they will be encouraged to change
> their
> ways and become more friendly and open.

I don't think spreading the word that coreboot does not support anything
Intel is a positive way to accomplish anything. It just frustrates and
discourages people willing to get involved. We have to face the facts here,
Intel may never get involved with coreboot, so the next best thing is to
get as many developers involved willing to take the time to fill in the
missing pieces of code. Thinking ouside of the box. This is what I did for
the i830, It might have taken me a little longer, but in the long run I did
it without any help from Intel (except for one public datasheet).

> That being said, the correct statement is of course that we don't have
> anything *modern* by Intel supported for lack of (unencumbered)
> documentation. Unless I'm missing something, of course...

I think the Intel 3100 is fairly modern. Is Intel not releasing public
datasheets for the more modern chipsets? Or could it just be a lack of
coreboot developers willing to work on the more modern chipsets? My hands
are just tied right now (working on a USB debugging side project).
Although, in the near future I will be starting on porting the i854
chipset. I personally am more interested in Intel embedded designs.

Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux
www.settoplinux.org