[coreboot] first output: dbe62 and v3

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Mar 5 17:06:58 CET 2008

On 05.03.2008 16:58, ron minnich wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 5:49 AM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
> <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>>  That depends on your goals. We once discussed how to fail over to a
>>  initram/stage2/payload downloaded via serial. That can take a lot of
>>  time. I seem to remember that some power button control on some Geode
>>  boards has to be done in the first 4 seconds after poweron. That timing
>>  constraint will bite us when downloading over serial. Of course, if I'm
>>  wrong (or we can perform failsafe powerbutton control in stage 1),
>>  discard my objection.
>>

> right, but the enable ENABLES the timeout. Safest thing to do is wait
> until stage 2 at least to enable such things. I.e. later.

OK, then I'm totally fine doing all the powerbutton handling in stage2.

> Although I see your point now. Sigh. mainboard_pre_payload?

I'd simply decide on a phase in stage2 where all this happens (except
time-critical stuff).

> We're finding that the device tree needs to span stage1 to
> mainboard_pre_payload, now. We had not planned for this. We're going
> to have to rethink it a bit.

See my other mail from 5 minutes ago for a possible solution for that
problem.

> If we do this it will clean a lot of things up.

And the bootblock will grow a lot. I'd still like to avoid device tree
handling in stage 1 and initram.

> Good work for denver.

Speaking of Denver, how many people have confirmed to come?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/