[coreboot] v3 docu

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Mar 13 13:40:36 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 01:10:06PM +0100, Martin Trautmann wrote:
> What I missed most: If there's a ready solution for a motherboard,
> there´s no need to read this docu at all. It should run almost on
> its own.

Hmm, what do you mean by ready solution?

This is intended to be a design document, not the user's guide. I
would like to have some kind of user's guide as well, but since we
aren't really finished with the v3 design yet I think time is better
spent elsewhere for now.

> There's no explanation how to build new devices and especially how
> to add a new motherboard. Very much seems to run automatically on
> one hand - and on the other hand coreboot claims that it wants to
> build a minimum BIOS only since all of the other initialisation
> should be done within the kernel.

Devices and boards live in the northbridge,southbridge,superio and
mainboard subdirectories respectively, in a vendor/device dir.

"Simple" PCI devices don't need custom initialization. v3 has generic
PCI code that will do enough. Buses (bridges) need to be initialized,
and they are usually part of the north- or southbridge.

> Thus I do not know: which are the minimum requirements which I have
> to define. How may I begin. How may I test the inital setup and
> collect debugging information which does show me conflicts,
> devices, links, addresses, whatever.

Excellent question. The problem is that there is no generic answer
since most PC hardware out there has unique creative ideas on how
to get a competitive edge.

> Personally, I do not have any idea how to build a new motherboard
> definition from scratch.

My goal is for a board definition in v3 to only consist of data. I
think this is an attainable goal, we are not far from it.

The board is described by a dts file, which says what components are
on it and the addresses they have, and an irq_tables.h file which
describes the interrupt routing. Ideally I would like the interrupt
routing to go into the dts, but I don't yet know if it's possible or
how it should look. I'll think more about this for the first K8 board
in v3.

I want the dts to be postprocessed bom+netlist and eventually have a
tool to do it automatically.

> But fortunately I may take one of the Geode LX boards and try to
> find out which might suit me best for a Geode GX design. I do not
> know whether I have to build everything perfectly at once or how I
> may proceed step by step to debug my files and reach a final
> solution.

Everything most certainly does not have to be perfect at once, what
you do need to get right is completely device specific.

> Much, much later on I might ask how to add this design to the
> coreboot tree...

What design? Do you mean how to contribute back the mainboard? The
procedure for that is actually documented already: :)
http://www.coreboot.org/Development_Guidelines

Hope this helps.

//Peter