[coreboot] m57sli FAN control

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Mon Mar 17 21:49:21 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:20:34AM +0100, Ronald Hoogenboom wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 18:02 -0400, Ward Vandewege wrote:
> > :) Yeah, it works fine on v1 and v2 for me. I think we can commit once
> > we
> > bring the settings for fan2 and 3 in line with those for fan1, unless
> > you
> > have an argument against doing that?
> >

> The only arguments I can think of are:
> - prop. bios doesn't do it for FAN2

That's an argument I don't care about :) The proprietary bios in this
particular case is ok, but I've seen some other ones that do things that are
really not optimal.

If we can do it better/make the default safer, why would we not?

> - if there is no connector that could be used for CPU related fan on the
> mainboard that wires to the FAN2 output, then why should we?

There are 3 fan connectors on the MB. Fan1 is the one next to the CPU, and
that's the one labelled as 'cpu fan' to which I've connected my cpu fan. The
other two are elsewhere on the board.

The superio cpu sensor seems to be sensor 3.

> Are you referring to the difference 0x27/0x20 for the indexes 0x63/0x73?
> Maybe the intention is to have a bigger fan on FAN3 that doesn't rotate
> at all below 30% pw, while the smaller fan on FAN1 already rotates at
> 25% pw. Who knows...

Yeah, that could be.

Do we know if the other 2 sensors (sensor 1 and 2) actually produce sane
values? I was not sure about that, which is why I proposed setting fan 2 and
3 to automatic, and hooking them up to the cpu sensor.

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Ward Vandewege <ward at fsf.org>