[coreboot] libpayload: CMOS / BCD functions

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sat Mar 29 14:52:22 CET 2008

On 29.03.2008 02:26, Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 08:42:41AM -0600, Jordan Crouse wrote:
>
>> Regardless of where people think they are going to take coreboot (I
>> have serious doubts about the usefulness of coreboot on other
>> architectures, especially the ones being bandied about on the email
>> list), we need to remember that coreboot is targeted at x86, and
>> thats where all of its users and potential users will come from for
>> the near future.
>>

> I don't agree at all that coreboot is targeted exclusively at x86.
> If other architectures can use new bootcode like the PC then I would
> love for coreboot to be that new bootcode.
>
> Yes, today it is all x86, but if the hardware can be used in other
> architectures then the software should as well.

v1 had Alpha, PPC and x86, v2 has PPC and x86, v3 will have MIPS and
x86. I strongly dispute the notion that coreboot is x86 only. x86 may be
the predominant architecture right now, but if the MIPS efforts take
off, we have the chance to test our abstraction model.

> I think we'll have better code in v4 if we already keep other archs
> in mind. (Not jump through hoops to befriend them, but just keep them
> in mind.)

I'm scared. The development I plan for v3 will give us significant
reductions in code duplication and config duplication compared to what
we now have on v3. If there is any reason to plan v4 in the next few
years, I'd like to know.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel