[coreboot] libpayload: CMOS / BCD functions

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Mon Mar 31 17:46:31 CEST 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 09:25:04AM -0600, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> This won't come as a surprise to anybody, but we are lagging years behind
> the other architectures.   There are already very good free and open
> source boot monitors for many of the other architectures.  I view the
> coreboot effort not as creating something new and magical, but rather
> as dragging the x86 into modern times to catchup with its cousins that
> long ago passed it in terms of cluefulness.  I hate the idea of spending
> valuable cycles thinking about other architectures when we're still so
> far away from making our primary one work.  Just my opinion.

I think we all agree that we have lots of work left to be done on x86.

We surely wouldn't object to patches for non-x86 architectures though,
and it's also a good idea to keep our code as archıtecture-independent and
generic as possible to make porting easier.

But yes, I'm personally not _too_ interested in spending lots of time in
porting coreboot to architectures which _already_ have perfectly
supported, open-source bootloader and firmware projects. There's not
much point in re-inventing/re-implementing Uboot, or YABOOT, or whatever
just for the sake of it (but again -- patches in that direction will not
be rejected of course, if somebody wants to do the work).

Uwe.