[coreboot] GRUB2 Questions

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Fri May 9 16:51:01 CEST 2008

On Fri, 9 May 2008 15:31:35 +0200, Patrick Georgi <patrick at georgi-clan.de>
wrote:
> Am Thu, 08 May 2008 13:32:11 -0400
> schrieb Joe <joe at settoplinux.org>:
>> Are there any plans to load GRUB2's grub.cfg from a hard disk. This
>> would make it editable to the end user. I think it is kind of
>> important for a Multiboot Loader.
> After some discussion with Stefan, we agreed that it would be more
> flexible to stick to (memdisk)/grub.cfg as default.
>
> This configfile could then pass control to some other config, by
> writing "configfile (ata0,1)/grub.cfg" in it.
>
> This is more flexible because you don't have to recompile grub to
> change the target (just add a new grub.cfg in coreboot v3, or redo
> mkdiskimage/mkimage for coreboot v2).
>
> This is also more flexible, because you could (with some effort) have
> the (memdisk)/grub.cfg look up the available devices and search for
> grub.cfg files there, passing control to them.
> That way, it doesn't matter, if you have it on (ata0,1), (ata0,5),
> (ata2,17), or (usb0,1).
>
> Is that okay for you?

Yes, I think that would work out fine. What kind of effort would it take
for "the (memdisk)/grub.cfg look up the available devices and search for
grub.cfg files there, passing control to them" ?? I think this would kind
of neat, almost like looking for the boot/partition table on the mbr of
each drive.

Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux
www.settoplinux.org