[coreboot] PCI bus mastering

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Fri May 9 19:29:29 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 7:06 AM, Andrei Birjukov
<andrei.birjukov at artecdesign.ee> wrote:

> 2. Another option would be to globally force the PCI_COMMAND_MASTER in
> pci_probe_dev(), if the base class is PCI_BASE_CLASS_NETWORK.

then we'll hit the same problem with disk potentially or any other bus
master device? Not sure.

I think we need to make it clear to the user: this is being done
because their OS is defective, and it is dangerous. But we've got to
support it, so that's life. It really ought to be a Kconfig option.
(this is v3 I assume). And the help needs to make clear why this is
being done. I don't mind it if you want to beat WinCE over the head.

I'd rather have an this done in phase 6, as part of global PCI device
processing. Recall that as soon as you enable DMA on a NIC, things get
interesting: Once the NIC is enabled, will it receive packets? If so,
where do broadcast packets end up? I don't know. So this is quite
dangerous.

Sorry to ramble, I'm just trying to figure this out. Any objections to
making it something we do at the very end, as opposed to the probe
step? That's what phase 6 is for.

ron