[coreboot] Thin Client Compaq Evo T20

Ralph Green rgreen at zeomega.com
Tue May 13 03:53:46 CEST 2008

Howdy,

Uwe Hermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 11:00:33AM -0700, Philip Loewen wrote:
>> I'm thinking about trying coreboot on the Compaq Evo T20
>> thin client.
>
> Yep, nice box. I have one here, too, will port coreboot to
> it soonish.

   I have a Compaq T30 I'd like to try coreboot on, as well.  I think
they are quite similar in design to the T20, although I don't have a T20
to directly compare it to.

> All the coreboot code is
> open-source would be one good advantage. Likely faster boot times
> can be expected usually, too, etc. etc.

   They both sound like good reasons to me.  All open source is a good
  thing and I want to have several systems like that around.  I bought
  the T30 for just this kind of testing.

> the box. But if something goes wrong you really want to replace
> the BIOS chip (not a problem, as it's in a socket) with a backup
> chip which you have created/tested _before_.
> The usual way to flash coreboot is to use a spare ROM chip where
> you put the original vendor BIOS (and then store it in a safe place),
> and only working on another ROM chip.
   Is there a good source of inexpensive spare flash roms for this
device?  If so, I would like to order one to be prepared for the
procedure you describe.