[coreboot] Thin Client Compaq Evo T20

Philip Loewen philip at tidepool.ca
Tue May 13 07:38:45 CEST 2008

Thanks for your replies. It's exciting to have my questions
received so well.

I'm not quite allergic to opening the case of my unit, but I
should be totally honest about my plan to be a 'consumer'
rather than a 'producer' of coreboot knowledge. Investing
time and money in hardware to program the flash ROM and to
detect small steps toward success would take me off-line
from other projects (like earning a living) that I can't
afford to quit.

My little Evo has a socket for additional flash memory, but
the socket is empty and that's OK with me:

I am using the T20 as a thin client for several hours each
day, with gentoo linux kernel 2.6.24. I get X graphics at
1280x1024 at 16bpp, the maximum supported by the GX1, by using
a patched version of GRUB that lies to the kernel about what
memory should be used where. This patch, kindly supplied by
others, sacrifices the framebuffer console displays, though.
(All of them!) I am hoping that coreboot might get me
everything: best-possible video, hi-res framebuffer, and
efficient [non-emulated] sound support. (Then I would drop X
and go with directfb for VNC.) Success stories and
documentation are on the wiki at
   http://open-evot20.sourceforge.net/wiki/

Thanks again, ... Philip