[coreboot] ### LX800 , NAND FLASH, Booting

Steve Spano steve at fl-eng.com
Tue May 27 16:45:44 CEST 2008

Hi

We are using coreboot on an LX800+CS5536 custom platform.
Coreboot + FILO is loaded into a standard flash prom on the LPC bus
It boots up and then accesses a 1GB compact flash which stores Linux 2.6 and
our applications.

I am really interested in pulling that bulky, expensive compact flash and
connector from the design.

What are the options for using a NAND flash to replace the Compact Flash?
Would we need to use a Linux-As-Payload setup and then just map the NAND as
a YAFFS/JFFS device in linux? What about initial loading of the filesystems
on the NAND? Would we boot up with NFS on linux the first time, then pull
down a filesystem image into the NAND flash once booted on NFS?

I'm interested to hear ideas on how to do this or if no one has done it yet.

Thanks

Steve Spano, President
Finger Lakes Engineering