[coreboot] tools requirement for buildrom

Russell Whitaker russ at ashlandhome.net
Wed May 28 22:40:05 CEST 2008

On Wed, 28 May 2008, qchwu wrote:

> I use coreboot -v2 to build rom for AMD's LX800. I can't make it completely.
> Every time,there have errors during make. the red hat linux V9 is used
> in my project.
> Now,my question is what environment and tools are required to build the
> coreboot.

The environment and tools need not be the latest and greatest.
To test my answer I checked out coreboot-v2 and ran abuild.
Results:
   5 fails due to:
       make[1]: iasl: Command not found
   and the known via-cn failure.

(ok, so where do I find iasl?)

> 1. The linux kernel version:

   If you have a really old kernel chances are everything else is old, too.
   So you might concider installing a somewhat newer distro.

> 2. the GCC version:

gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i686-pc-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../gcc-4.1.2/configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared
--enable-languages=c,c++,pascal --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.2

Gnu pascal uses gcc's backend. As I recall from the pascal mailing list
there were some problems with the gcc-3.x series that went away when
gcc-4.1 came out.

Incidently, gcc-4.1.2 is the last GPL version 2 release.

> 3. make:

make -v
GNU Make 3.81  ...

Earlier versions of make are known to have problems.

> 4. svn:

I have 1.4.4.  Don't know anything about the older versions.

> 5. Any other tools are required.

ld -v
GNU ld (Linux/GNU Binutils) 2.17.50.0.17.20070615

The assembler is in the binutils package.

Hope this helps,
   Russ