[coreboot] Dell PE2850 with coreboot.

Vincent Legoll vincent.legoll at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 20:33:49 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Michal Widlok <michalwd1979 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm new to this lis and to coreboot, so please forgive me dumb
> questions for a while :-). I would like to learn some more about it
> and maybe install it on my Dell 2850. I've red then there is a WIP for
> coreboot on dell 1850 - this one is similar to mine. Where can I get
> some more information about this work? Is there any tutorial or other
> info that explains how to install coreboot on dells?

First, you should ensure you have a way to recover from problems:

Is your flash chip soldered or socketed on the motherboard ?
If not, any failure (bad flashing or wrong coreboot) and you've
got an expensive doorstop.
If yes, do you have at least one spare compatible chip with an
original bios flashed onto, to recover from failures ?

Then you're fairly safe to try, test, or hack on coreboot.

A serial console (to another host) setup and working is good
to have, because VGA may not work at first.

--
Vincent Legoll