[coreboot] [RFC] Null pointer trap?

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Nov 7 16:18:24 CET 2008

On 07.11.2008 16:04, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>> v3 does not have any mechanism to detect NULL pointers used by accident.
>>
>> I propose to fill the zero page (0x0-0xfff) with a special POISON_BYTE,
>> maybe 0x6b.
>
> I'm not sure what problem you are trying to solve here?  Are you
> trying to responsibly catch NULL pointers and report information, or
> are you trying to just be able to identify the situation on a debugger?

Catching NULL pointers immediately and reporting information would be
really cool, but for most hardware I fear that looking at a RAM image
after the fact is the only thing we can do.
You're right, though, this RFC was mostly a monkey-see-problem
monkey-do-something post, intended to get others to offer their insight
on that problem area.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--