[coreboot] Spi flash

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Nov 13 19:44:03 CET 2008

Hi Yves,

please keep the list in CC so they know what's going on. Thanks.

On 13.11.2008 18:51, Dupont Yves wrote:
> here is the corresponding dump :
>
> Calibrating delay loop... 326M loops per second, 100 myus = 193 us. OK.
> No coreboot table found.
> Found chipset "Intel ICH7M", enabling flash write...
> BIOS Lock Enable: disabled, BIOS Write Enable: enabled, BIOS_CNTL is 0x1
>
> Root Complex Register Block address = 0xfed1c000
> GCS = 0x460: BIOS Interface Lock-Down: disabled, BOOT BIOS Straps: 0x1 (SPI)
> [...]
> SPI Read Configuration: prefetching disabled, caching enabled, OK.
> [...]
> Probing for Atmel AT25DF321, 4096 KB: Programming OPCODES... done
> RDID returned ff ff ff.

The flash chip doesn't support RDID.

> RDID byte 0 parity violation.
> probe_spi_rdid_generic: id1 0xff, id2 0xffff
> [...]
> Probing for ST M25P40-old, 512 KB: RDID returned ff ff ff.
> RES returned 13.

But the chip supports RES.

> probe_spi_res: id 0x13
> [....]
> No EEPROM/flash device found.

The big problem is that ~30 chips from different manufacturers with
different sizes all have the same RES ID. I will try to cook up a patch
checking REMS (which is more accurate).

> It seems to bea SPI flash device but I don't want to open my laptop.
> Any idea?

I will create a patch to improve detection, but that may take a week or
so. If you don't hear anything back from me in the next 7 days, please
ask me for a status.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--