[coreboot] Resource allocation

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 17:50:44 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 9:43 AM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, to use this I still see a problem.
>
> In order to make the pnp devices not be dynamic, we have lost the
> ability to have default superio settings that don't have to be done in
> the mainboard.

It could be done in superio.c where the mask is being set.

> In other words, in the current system, we have this *in the superio*:
>
> -       /* Floppy */
> -       floppydev = "0x0";
>
> now, for each and every *mainboard* that uses that superio, we have to
> set these defaults in the mainboard.
>
> That's not good.

That was one of my questions.  Aren't these settings mainboard specific?  In
that case we want to set them in each mainboard.  Otherwise it'll bite lots
of people.

> The problem is easily solved: create files such as
> superio/common/com1.dts, and use them instead of the pnp.dts which has
> non-optimal default settings. Or, just create
> superio/winbond/whatever/comport.dts, keyboard.dts, etc. and use them.

If we're going that way, I'd rather just use what we have and change the PNP
code to match. (Let it create dynamic devices but pass more information in
the info structure so that the enables get set, etc.)  The hierarchy buys us
nothing if we just make lots of little files and types.

BTW: Does anyone see PNP devices besides the SuperIOs?  I.E., will the PNP
code ever get used for anything else?

I think this is closer but maybe still not right. This could be the
> template for all other dts setups if we get it right.

Yes.  Let's get it right.

Thanks,
Myles