[coreboot] r1026 - in coreboot-v3: mainboard/kontron/986lcd-m southbridge/intel/i82801gx

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 19:54:42 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de> wrote:
> Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>> We're missing one crucial piece which is necessary to get PIC to work:
>> The linker. PIC code must be linked _after_ its location is known.
> That sounds absurd as it would totally defeat the purpose of PIC.
>
> It's position independent code exactly _because_ you can't know the
> position at link time.

actually, the GCC definiton of PIC is odd to say the least, as
compared to what I used to call PIC.

But I am afraid carl-daniel is right. PIC in the gcc sense really
means "shared libraries" from what I can see, and does require a
linker post-pass.

Possibly on machines such as core 2, we should copy the (tiny) initram
to CARBASE and run it there, and link it for CARBASE.

ron