[coreboot] r1026 - in coreboot-v3: mainboard/kontron/986lcd-m southbridge/intel/i82801gx

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sat Nov 15 05:00:12 CET 2008

On 15.11.2008 04:32, ron minnich wrote:
> OK, another idea then. rework ROM layout.
>
> top 32k: stage 1.
> top-1 32k: fallback initram
> top-2 32k: normal initram
> The rest: the rest of lar.
>
> waste memory? yes. But this would let us dump PIC.

I'd like to postpone the discussion about dropping PIC until it becomes
really necessary. Why? Because there are lots of benefits in freely
movable initram files inside LAR. For one, the ability to unpack
fallback/initram and repackage it as normal/initram (or vice versa)
would disappear. I couldn't justify that as a deliberate design decision
in any discussion. Especially the fact that there is no way to recognize
from a bare initram file whether it is fallback or normal is a killer
for the desire to be able to unpack and repack a LAR.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/