[coreboot] v3 CAR/ROM area collision on C7 and Core2Duo

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Nov 21 22:06:08 CET 2008

On 21.11.2008 21:34, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> On 21.11.2008, at 16:47, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
> <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> in v2 we enable full ROM decoding before initram. For VIA C7 and Intel
>> Core 2 Duo, that means the CAR area is inside the mapped ROM contents.
>
> That observation is wrong for the intel core case. CAR lives 1MiB
> below the rom there. So no problems arise.

Core 2 Duo CAR lives at 0xFFEF0000 with a size of 32 kiB in v3.
Core 2 Duo CAR lives at 0xFFDF8000 with a size of 32 kiB in v2 for the
Kontron board.

My observation is correct for any ROM larger than 1 MiB (to be exact,
1024+64 kiB) in v3 and for any ROM larger than 2 MiB (2048+32 kiB) in v2.

How variable is the location where we can have CAR in the Core 2 Duo? Is
anything in the top 16 MiB allowed?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--