[coreboot] Resource Allocator for v3

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 17:12:02 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Myles Watson <mylesgw at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've decided to take on the resource allocator.  I think it can be written
> to work in three passes that will be clearly defined.
>
> Here's a summary of how it works right now (as best I can tell)
>
> There's a function called compute_allocate_resource in device/device.c which
> is the main part of the function.
>
> It takes a bus, a resource, a resource-type mask, and a type.
>
> 1. It calls read bus resources on the bus
> 2. In a loop, it goes through all the resources (largest to smallest) and
> assigns them values.  It marks them assigned, checks that they don't
> conflict with PCI, etc.
> 3. As it assigns values, it increments the base address it uses.
> 4. After it assigns the values, it sets the resource's size
>
> Part of what makes this function confusing is how often it gets called.
>
> It gets called in the device code during phase4, but it also gets called
> every time a PCI bus resource is "recorded."  So it gets called lots of
> times, and thus there's a need for the have_resources flag which means "have
> read resources."
>
> My proposal is to split it into distinct pieces.  I've implemented most of
> it but it's not quite there.
>
> 1. read_resources - Just read resources.  No setting PCI Config values, etc.
> 2. compute_resource_needs - Go through using the same algorithm as
> compute_allocate_resources, but don't assign the values.  Just sum them up.
> This is also the time to propagate minimum resource alignments, etc.  It is
> a depth-first dts traversal.

compute_resources?

> 3. assign_resource_values - Go through and assign actual values to the
> resources, and make sure everything is reachable.  This is also mostly the
> same as compute_allocate_resources, but it goes through breadth first
> instead of depth first.

allocate_resources?

I.e. split up compute_allocate.

compute_allocate was one pass in v1 because the chips were so simple.
In v2 it was still one thing but the "mutual recursion" with
read_resources got added, and you can see what happened. You are right
that splitting up into two passes is a reasonable fix.

> 4. set_resources
>
> I'm hoping to move the resource-specific code out of device/pci_device.c,
> and much of the PCI-specific code out of device/device.c  It doesn't seem
> like the allocation code should know or care how to disable any specific
> type of resource when it has size 0.  Same thing for the resource code.  It
> shouldn't fiddle with start and end values.  The have_resources flag is
> completely gone since resources only get read once at the beginning.

good. I never like have_resources but the recursion of
compute_allocate_resources required it.

> Right now I'm trying to understand the legacy PCI decoding problem.  I
> understand that legacy PCI only decoded 10 bits, so there are aliasing
> problems.  I just don't know how much of the address space is affected.  The
> check in the code right now just checks to see if bits 8 and 9 (0x300) are
> set.
>
>                if (resource->flags & IORESOURCE_IO) {
>                        /* Don't allow potential aliases over the legacy PCI
>                         * expansion card addresses. The legacy PCI decodes
>                         * only 10 bits, uses 0x100 - 0x3ff. Therefore, only
>                         * 0x00 - 0xff can be used out of each 0x400 block
> of
>                         * I/O space.
>                         */
>                        if ((base & 0x300) != 0) {
>                                base = (base & ~0x3ff) + 0x400;
>                        }
>                        /* Don't allow allocations in the VGA I/O range.
>                         * PCI has special cases for that.
>                         */
>                        else if ((base >= 0x3b0) && (base <= 0x3df)) {
>                                base = 0x3e0;
>                        }
>                }
>
> That makes it so that an allocation at 0x1100 triggers this check.  Is it
> really the whole I/O address space that has this problem?

If the decoding is really only 10 bits then yes, we're stuck.
I think assuming badness is always safe in this case. So leave the test in :-)

> The other thing I'm not sure about is prefetchable memory.  I see that it
> has its own resource in k8, but it doesn't seem clear how it was meant to be
> used.  For right now it's unimportant, but I really need it to work
> correctly later.

I'm assuming you know what prefetchable is, it really in a sense means
'cacheable'. You have to get this right from the start or things will
be slow.

ron