[coreboot] v3 CAR/ROM area collision on C7 and Core2Duo

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 07:43:09 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
<c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:

> 0xFEC00000 with size 0x8000 (32k) works as confirmed by you in IRC.
>
> I'll prepare a patch for v2 and v3 to move the VIA CAR location to
> 0xFEC00000.

I am somewhat concerned about this idea. FExxxxxx seems to be the
"vendor play area" for putting hardware in, FEC even more so.

Can we back out to our original motivation for doing this? I think I
understand it but can we go through it one more time?

As I understand it the idea of moving this around it so limit
restrictions on where initram can be in FLASH -- I'm not sure it would
not make more sense to just tell people "initram must be in high 1 MB"
and leave it at that.

Generality is nice, but taken to extremes it can make life more
complex. See Moon's old essay from long ago (I posted it to the list)
on that topic.

What are we gaining? Do we really need it?

ron