[coreboot] Is Coreboot selfmodifying? Award legacy Bios is!

Mats Erik Andersson mats.andersson at gisladisker.se
Wed Oct 1 18:04:18 CEST 2008

Hello all,

the cryptic subject of this message is due to my efforts
to verify that Flashrom is producing correct images.

After much practical testing I have been able to conclude
positively that the Award Bios 4.51 of a FIC mainboard
is rewriting the blocks

   0x0003800 - 0x00038fff     cleartext on system characteristica,
   0x0003a00 - 0x0003afff     pci-table.

at each reboot. Now I wonder if also Coreboot is using this opportunity
under some circumstances. It is not that I think it is a commendable
thing to do, instead it is a rather hazardous endeavour in my eyes.

Best regards,

Mats Erik Andersson