[coreboot] splash screen

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Wed Oct 1 23:48:24 CEST 2008

On 01/10/08 11:49 -0700, ron minnich wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Jordan Crouse <jordan.crouse at amd.com> wrote:
> > On 01/10/08 11:03 -0700, ron minnich wrote:
> >> OK I should read my mail more ... mode 3 it is.
> >
> > No - not mode 3.  You'll want to kick into a VESA mode of suitable
> > size so you can draw directly to the framebuffer.
> >
> I'm trying x117 now?

Okay, since Ron is clearly serious about this, we have some matters to
attend to.  The most important is how we are going to format the image
in the payload.  I think we need to use a format that is
already familiar to the bootloader community - two that come to mind are
the lss16 format from Syslinux [1] and the xpm.gz format from Grub.

The first has the advantage of being simpler to implement and draw (we
can draw it from a stream), but we are limited to 16 colors.   The second
is in xpm format, which is well known and can also be drawn from a
stream, but the .gz throws us for a loop, since we don't have a
zlib implementation in libpayload.

I personally vote for the lSS16 (RLE) format.  It will be familiar to
the syslinux crowd, and it will be darn easy to implement, and copying
to the screen will be as easy as:

video_console_putrle(0, 0, ptrtorle);

But as always, I'm open for suggestions to the contrary.  What do
you think?

Jordan

[1] http://www.google.com/search?&q=ppmtolss16&sourceid=firefox

--