[coreboot] SeaBIOS and the Geode LX framebuffer

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Thu Oct 9 17:10:21 CEST 2008

On 09/10/08 11:19 +0100, Stephen Crocker wrote:
> Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> > [...]
> >> Not just a possibility - but a certainty.  Geode could be ported in a
> >> matter of hours.
> >
> > Hi Jordan,
> >
> > I've spent some time taking a closer look at this.  The bochs vgabios
> > has a large number of in/out calls.  If the geode vga doesn't natively
> > emulate the legacy in/out ports then I think there is a fair amount of
> > work to port bochs vgabios to geode.

I apologize - I spend a lot of my time hacking on the graphics engine,
but I forgot all the other baggage that VGA brings with.

> I have been looking at the Geode LX databook and on page 303, it lists
> the standard VGA I/O ports (3CC, 3C2, 3BA/3DA etc.) which I had
> previously assumed were emulated in the VSA.  If they are indeed
> implemented in hardware, it should be able to act as a standard VGA
> device.  However, this would make me wonder what the VGA emulation VSA
> is for.

The VSA is there primarily to trap 0x3c2 and to implement a few other
extended functions.  There is a document on our developer-only website
that describes this, I have asked that we release it to the public.

> If they are software I/O ports implemented in the VSA, an alternative
> would be to make an open-source VGA emulation module for OpenVSA.
> Unfortunately, my resources are too limited to attempt this task.

Especially considering that OpenVSA itself needs a lot of work.

> Just as a matter of curiosity, what is the licensing issue surrounding
> the VGA emulation code?  I understand that it is not open-source but is
> it available as a binary?

The VGA BIOS itself has licencing restrictions on it.  The VSA emulation
doesn't, but since we never planned on supporting VGA in the first place,
it was a non-starter.  The infrastructure is in place in the VSA code,
but the actual mode switching isn't.

Jordan
--
Jordan Crouse