[coreboot] v3: Taking a breath..

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Mon Oct 13 17:26:23 CEST 2008

On 11/10/08 07:13 +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> ron minnich wrote:
> I am not saying that we should stop working on v3 for two years. I'm
> asking that we stick to the Hamburg plan, i.e. to step back and
> evaluate (maybe tidy too) the code that is in v3 when simple
> (geodelx) and complex (k8) are both working.

The problem is - they aren't working.  Ron has done an exceptional
job, but he is the only developer actually working at adding functional
code to v3 on a regular basis.  It is very frustrating that we have
so many talented developers in the same community, and yet one guy
is trying to build the rocket ship and everybody else just wants to
wash and wax the exterior.  I urge everybody to try v3 on real hardware
(note that SimNow counts as real hardware for this excercise).  If you
think that what you see is of high enough enough quality to sell to your
favorite OEM, then fine - we're done, and start cleaning up.  But instead,
I wager that you will find issues that you want fixed.

If everybody took a break from cleanup and fixed one problem a week, then
in three months all that would be left are the cleanups.

I'll do my part - I will commit to a v3 patch a week (and a real change too,
not just running indent).

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse