[coreboot] unrv2b delay (v2)

Marc Jones Marc.Jones at amd.com
Wed Oct 29 17:27:31 CET 2008

Arne Georg Gleditsch wrote:
> Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> writes:
>> Arne Georg Gleditsch wrote:
>>> The unrv2b uncompression algorithm appears to behave very badly in
>>> the absence of a proper cache.
>> But why does this improve when the algorithm runs out of RAM?
>>
>> Could ROM accesses be a factor?
>
> Yes, at least in the sense that running from ROM means we're running
> from an uncached memory region.  I assume you'd notice much the same
> running from uncached DRAM as well.  copy_and_run is one of the few
> things that run after cache-as-ram has been disabled but before our code
> has been copied to proper DRAM, so it is especially sensitive regarding
> code footprint.

I have thought about this a while back and have wanted to make a change.
Disabling CAR should fixup the stack etc but for performance reasons we
should setup/leave ROM and RAM caching enabled on the BSP. If you are
interested in looking at that I think it would be great.

Marc

--
Marc Jones
Senior Firmware Engineer