[coreboot] r964 - coreboot-v3/util/x86emu

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 06:45:52 CET 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de> wrote:
> Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

>> Unsharing just postpones the problem for another 6 months or so. After
>> that, the new code will fail as well. Besides that, wasting the whole
>> boot block is not exactly my idea of efficiency.
>>
> No, unsharing nicely solves the problem.

from what I can see, unsharing has solved the problem in one case. So,
QED, it can help.

Do we unshare everything? No, since we want to share data between
stages I believe.

It has been pointed out to me by hardware folks familiiar with future
systems  that sharing *code* will likely bite us, as there will likely
always be a penalty for calling to ROM, even when the ROM is cached.

I have no complaint with sharing *data* between stages. Sharing code
is proving to be a problem and, again, vendors are somewhat surprised
that
we are doing the code sharing. I can take a hint :-)

Also, please remember: unsharing now does not rule out re-sharing
later. That is the beauty of the current sharing framework: it is
really incredibly flexible,
and lets us share and unshare at will.

thanks

ron