[coreboot] wiki account request (for GRUB 2)

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Fri Sep 5 23:35:02 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 09:42:29AM -0600, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> On 05/09/08 17:08 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I notice in http://tracker.coreboot.org/trac/coreboot/ticket/88 that
> > Coresystems is no longer working on GRUB 2 (that's too bad, sorry that
> > it didn't work out, etc...).
> >
> > I have nothing to say about what you will be recommending as default bootloader
> > in the future.  Right now your wiki still recommends GRUB 2, and I suppose
> > Coresystems folks will want to push for FILO.  But this is not a discussion
> > I want to be involved in (just wanted to clarify ;-)).
>
> Coresystems has people that depend on them for a livelyhood - they have to
> do what is best for their customers, and we are very lucky that their goals
> often align with those of the community.   I do wish things had ended up
> differently, but I welcome the FILO work because it make both FILO and
> libpayload that much better, and thats not a bad thing.

I understand.  I didn't mean to say it is!

> When you anoint a single program as the "chosen one" then you lock yourself
> for trouble down the road.  I would much prefer to chose between 3 great
> programs then one mediocre one.

It seems I made too many assumptions; sorry about that.  Let me put it as:
whatever you choose to endorse or recommend is not my problem.  I just want
to make GRUB provide good support for coreboot, and (to the extent that this
is reasonable) that users can find readily available information about it when
browsing your list of supported payloads.

--
Robert Millan