[coreboot] Convert Assembly JMP to C

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 09:43:47 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 1:20 AM, Russell Whitaker <russ at ashlandhome.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, Joseph Smith wrote:
>

>> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 00:24:32 -0400, "Corey Osgood"
>> <corey.osgood at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> <corey.osgood at gmail.com>

>>> Why not? If legacy free is the way we're gonna go, why not get rid of
>>> the legacy MBR while we're at it?
>>>
>> Hmm. You got me thinking, the gears are turning. We would have to deal
>> with
>> a binary blob though instead a simple text file. pros vs cons?
>
> A while back Seagate announced they are stopping production of the ATA hard
> drive. In a few short years the MBR will have gone the way of the
> 5.25 inch floppy. Even now there are some live-cd distros that don't
> need a hard drive.

I call bullshit. I found one news article on it, not linked to a press
release or any substantiating evidence. Can't find a PR on Seagate's
website or anywhere else. And I can't honestly imagine that there's so
much of a difference between PATA and SATA hard drives that no longer
manufacturing PATA drives would have any considerable impact on their
bottom line. 5 1/4" drives were around when only geeks and secretaries
had PCs, that's just not the case today. If you know where there's an
official announcement, please, send me the link.

-Corey