[coreboot] FILO creating filo.conf

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Fri Sep 12 14:15:23 CEST 2008

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:20:04 +0200, "Vincent Legoll"
<vincent.legoll at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I do think this would be better approach. I don't think scanning a
>>> top level directory would take very long.
>
> Yes, a command in filo to scan for drives and report what he found would
> be a great enhancement. I'll certainly test patches that try to achieve
> this.
>
>> The issue is not with filesystem structure. The issue is with drives.
>> Scanning drives takes some time, at least a few seconds per drive or
>> so.
>
> If this is implemented as a command, and not part of default filo startup
> that would be fine, scanning has to be started by user interactively.
>
>> Once the correct drive has been found, finding the boot files is
>> usually quick because only few sectors needs to be read.
>
> Yeah, the hard part is finding which "string" to give filo as drive name,
> the file name is often already known. Not that I wouldn't want the "find"
> command get an implementation that do something, tho...

I think the find command would ulimatly become a part of libpayload so it
could be used for something like coreinfo??
I think the ata/ide drivers from FILO would have to be moved to libpayload
for coreinfo also. But, it would be cool to have coreinfo tell you info
about your drives :-)

I think for FILO, we would only care about finding the filo.conf file.

Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux
www.settoplinux.org