[coreboot] FILO creating filo.conf

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Tue Sep 16 01:57:01 CEST 2008

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 00:59:32 +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
<c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
> On 16.09.2008 00:36, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>> Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> writes:
>>

>>> That would not help for the case where erase is successful and write
>>> fails. To cover that case, you have to write filo.conf to one free
>>> block, then erase the other one and write there. Never erase both
> blocks
>>> at once.
>>> You'll see how everything fits together once I post my design doc and
> patch.
>>>

>> Note ideally you would be able to fit multiple versions of your data
>> files in the same erase block.  So you can take advantage of the fact
>> that you can write to an erase block multiple times between erases.
>>

> Absolutely. That's what I had in mind.

Hmm, very interesting. So ideally we could add a unique identifier each
time filo.conf is written. Something like filo.conf.001, filo.conf.002 and
so on. This way if the new config fails you would still have the previous
to revert back to, correct?

Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux
www.settoplinux.org