[coreboot] v3 parallel port console?

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Sep 17 02:49:08 CEST 2008

Joseph Smith wrote:
> Now we just need to figure out what kind of hardware to convert the
> DATA & CLK lines to serial.

They just need to be retransmitted at a different baud rate.

It could certainly be done with a single PICmicro or other small
microcontroller. I suggest bitbanging the sync (PS/2) side because it
is slower, and using a built-in UART peripheral for the RS-232 side.

The smallest PICmicro with UART is PIC16F688. It can run at 2MIPS
with no external components. The PIC, a MAX232 and the caps needed
could easily fit in a DB9 shell if a clever PCB design is created.
(Double sided, mounted on the DB9 connector itself, PIC on one side,
MAX232 on the other.)

A perfect little microcontroller project! :)

//Peter