[coreboot] Remaining ROMCC targets

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 04:18:13 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 8:21 PM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <
c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:

> On 04.04.2009 01:06, Joseph Smith wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 00:26:19 +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
> > <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> >> [ROMCC->CAR]
> >> Great. Will a bad reflash hurt you?
> >>

> > No, as long as it doesn't blow the thing up :-0
> >

> Heh. That won't happen unless an endless loop is too much for your
> cooling setup.
>

> >> What you need to try this one out:
> >> - a POST card or another way to fetch POST codes.
> >> - tell me whether POST works by default or you need special setup.
> >> - a will to try out v3 with some patches.
> >>
> > Ok, I have a PCI/Parallel Post Card. The RM4100 doesn't have eithor, the
> > IP1000 does have a PCI slot so we can use that for testing.
> >

> Good. Can you verify that the PCI POST card works?
>
> >> The idea is to test the v3 intel CAR code which has not been on real
> >> hardware yet, but it is a much cleaner and more readable implementation
> >> compared to v2. I'm hoping we don't need chipset specific stuff for POST
> >> to work.
> >>
> > Not sure, serial output works fine.
> >

> We'll debug very early code, before serial can be set up.
>
> >> I need info on the cache size of your processor, though. Unreliable CAR
> >> is not nearly as much fun as reliable CAR.
> >>
> > 512k
> >
> > http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL68W
> >

> Thanks. Can you find out L1 cache sizes as well? The spec page was not
> clear about that. And is the processor hyperthreading capable?
>
> I'll follow up with a patch on Wednesday or Thursday.

 All P2 & P3s should be 32k L1 cache, and between the p2s, p3s, and celerons
based on them, they have 128, 256, or 512k of L2 cache (Xeons also had 1 or
2MB). I think if it runs on Joe's system, and can handle the different cache
sizes, the different cores are similar enough that it might just work on the
whole range. I have a few boards kicking around, 440BX and i810 alike, I can
test stuff on if you need me to.

-Corey