[coreboot] proposed patch to src/lib/console.c

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Apr 21 16:53:11 CEST 2009

On 21.04.2009 16:46, ron minnich wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 7:32 AM, Myles Watson <mylesgw at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Is there a good way to tell what breaks when we take this out?  How
>> can you tell from the code whether it's too early to call the
>> functions?  I like the cleanup, but if it will break my boards I'd
>> like to know how to fix it afterward.
>>

> We need to figure out when it's ok to call them and put that call in
> hardwaremain, in the right place;
>
> I'll put this on the to-do list. I still think the way it is done is a
> mistake but I can understand the fear that people have of changing it.

v3 has/had that issue as well. Basically, we want to print stuff as
early as possible, but doing that before the Super I/O is set up is
questionable at best. It may work for some machines due to favourable
default settings, but I wouldn't count on it.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/