[coreboot] SerialICE 1.0 - QEMU stops responding

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Wed Aug 5 08:07:37 CEST 2009

Hi Daniel,

On 04.08.2009, at 21:34, Daniel Liu <daliu87 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been trying to use SerialICE to trace through some BIOS code,
> but periodically QEMU stops responding.  The SerialICE rom loaded
> onto the target motherboard's bios chip still responds to serial
> commands.  It's not a specific instruction that causes it to stop,
> it seems to stop at random points when running normally and when
> debugging with GDB. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

This is very odd.. The communication code in qemu's serialice.c is a
bit fragile due to working around some qemu peculiarities. I have not
seen this before, however it sounds a lot like qemu is waiting for
data that SerialICE does not attempt to send, or that got lost..
There are a number of debugging statements in Qemu's serialice.c -
maybe enabling them can shed some light on this...

Stefan