[coreboot] vga not working

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 16:59:25 CEST 2009

> coreboot was running at 0x4000. I've changed  Options.lb in
> mainboard\intel\truxton :
>
> -- default CONFIG_RAMBASE=0x00004000
> ++ default CONFIG_RAMBASE=0x00100000
>
> This did not compile so I've had to add :
>
> ++ uses CONFIG_LB_MEM_TOPK
> ++ default CONFG_LB_MEM_TOPK = 2 * 1024 * 1024
>
> This did not change anything to the VGA problem, I think I will keep
> this that way, what
> you guys are thinking about this?
It's fine with me.  I guess it might make a difference for ACPI
suspend/resume support.

> 2)
> My auto.c patch is not consistent as this is called prior the
> enable_resource function in
> fact. The function enable_resource is using logical or operations. In
> this case I still gets
> some unwanted bits obviously. Actually yesterday I was very tired I
> guess. The value
> 0xb means 0b1011 :
>
> 2PERRE = 1, 2SERRE = 1 and VGAEN = 1.
>
> I am not sure 2PERRE or 2SERRE would be any relevant around my problem.
> But the
> legacy BIOS do not set these to 1, this is a fact.
I don't think they should be a problem, but you can set any value you'd like
once we get your driver loading.

> Actually what is the best way to get pciexp_porta.c to be included and
> replace the
> default PCI functions in src\devices ?
The boot log helped, see below.

> As an additional question:
>
> 1)
> Can these memory holes be cached or not. I guess these ranges should not
> correspond to a
> cacheable RAM section. Does coreboot cache the complete  0x0 to
> CONFIG_LB_MEM_TOPK area.
Coreboot doesn't cache the VGA hole.

> Arnaud Maye wrote:
> >>>
> >> You mean the i3100 here, right?
> > Yeah the EP80579 is a SOC ( System on chip ). It includes a IA32 core,
> > a North Bridge and a
> > South Bridge all on the same chip. In this respect talking about i3100
> > is not very correct I believe.
> > It is clear they have a i3100 core there inside. it is just not named
> > in fact. The ep80579 has an
> > IMCH and a IICH.
OK.  I think we're going to get there.  It looks like your driver doesn't
get registered for the device because the PCI IDs don't match.