[coreboot] vga not working

Arnaud Maye arnaud.maye at 4dsp.com
Tue Aug 25 13:17:18 CEST 2009

> I would look in targets/intel/truxton/truxton/fallback/ldoptions
>
> Check the values of CONFIG_VGA, CONFIG_CONSOLE_VGA...
>
> maybe
> cat targets/intel/truxton/truxton/fallback/ldoptions | grep VGA
> cat targets/intel/truxton/truxton/fallback/ldoptions | grep ROM
>
> make sure that you have it configured as you expect.
>
> If that doesn't help, send the log file and ldoptions to the list.

This is not going to be required. I have the VGA output.. Actually
"Global SMRAM Enable"
was set to '1'

The description of this bit is quite confusing.

0 = The compatible SMRAM functions are disabled.
1 = The compatible SMRAM functions are enabled, providing 128 Kbyte of DRAM
accessible at the 0xA0000 address while in SMM (ADS# with SMM decode).

The SMM configuration of a few other bits would cause this range to be
open as well
as non locked so this seemed to be correct, I've actually I've tried to
disable this bit a
few days ago but then the memory test failed on the 0xA0000 range. By
failed I mean
the value read back from the memory at this time was always 0xFFFFFFFF.
I assumed this a a misbehavior and did set back this bit to '1' as it
was initially.

Today I've been trying to disable the memory test and reset this bit
again. This made that
the VGA output is consistent and as expected.

So actually the PCIe configuration was not in cause. Even if quite a few
bits in the PCIe
configuration does not match the Intel recommendation it seems they are
not such a big
deal. I will however keep my pciexp_porta_ep80579 file in there.

I still have some work around the southbridge configuration (PS2 input),
I will keep you
guys updated.

Thank you for your help guys!

Arnaud