[coreboot] [flashrom] We have a FOSDEM DevRoom!

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Wed Dec 2 01:22:58 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 01:13:18AM +0100, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> On 02.12.2009 00:36, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> > The kind FOSDEM organizers have given us a DevRoom on saturday the 6th
> > of February, as requested.
> >

> Thanks a lot for organizing this, Luc!
>

> > We have a total of 6 slots available, two of which should be filled with
> > an "introductory" talk about coreboot and one about flashrom.
> > Introductory here means "this is what $project is, and now we dive
> > straight into the gory details." So there are 4 more which i would like
> > to see filled up in the next month.
> >

> Possible topics from me (time requirements vary, I'm pretty flexible in
> that regard):
> - Writing a flashrom driver for your favourite programmer (can do in 15
> minutes or less).
> - Hands-on flash chip programming (one flash chip and one cheap
> home-built programmer for interested participants). Could be combined
> with the topic above for a "Total Flashrom Experience(tm)".
> - Managing user emergency support and development (flashrom is one of
> the most dangerous-to-working-computer projects out there). Mostly a
> management talk about how to deal with desperate users and nonconforming
> hardware without getting a black eye. Not really my favourite topic, but
> if there is overwhelming demand, I can do.
> - Using flashrom to detect BIOS rootkits and other nasty stuff living in
> your BIOS chip (with demo and background).
>
> I gave the BIOS rootkit detection talk at 0sec conference in Berne and
> OpenExpo in Zürich (with quite a lot of audience participation each
> time), tailored for the needs of each event. Depending on what the
> audience expects, I will come up with some new stuff and adjust the main
> focus of that talk on the security aspect or the real-world problems
> faced by this task.
>
> It would be great if someone else who is involved in flashrom
> development right now could fill one of the slots. With Luc tackling the
> flash enable stuff, I can either cover one of the topics I mentioned
> above or give a general introductory flashrom talk. Cooperative talks
> are an option for me as well.
>
> Oh, and we need all the external programmers supported by flashrom for
> display purposes. (Photos are also acceptable, but being able to show
> the real stuff is so much more exciting for the audience.)
>
> Regards,
> Carl-Daniel

Well, i definitely want you to do the introductory flashrom talk. But on
the other hand, the introductory part with flashrom is rather limited,
after which you can go and delve deeper into one or several
further topics that you mentioned.

Chances are that it gets filmed in HDTV and makes it onto phoronix.com.

And for showing off, maybe we should get a webcam along that we then can
use to show hardware up close on the projector.

Luc Verhaegen.