[coreboot] GeodeLX RAM initialisation issue

Daniel Mack daniel at caiaq.de
Wed Dec 2 15:44:15 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 02:59:01PM +0100, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Daniel Mack wrote:
> > the effect is harder to trigger when booting from an external LPC
> > flash emulator (in contrast to coreboot flashed to the internal
> > LPC).
>
> Then you could experiment with a few different flash chips.
>
> PC Engines makes a nice and neat Flash recovery board, which plugs
> onto the LPC header, and comes with a PLCC chip in a socket.

I doubt the flash chip itself is the problem. Might be I haven't been
totally clear about what I observed.

When using the Linux tools to flash an image to the internal LPC, the
system most likely won't come up immediately. I need that power-off
delay of some minutes to reanimate the board. After that, the bug is
very hard to trigger, even though it does happen, especially when
powering the device off (by unplugging the supply) and on again right
after that.

So my theory is that there is something left in any part of the system
which makes coreboot fail in disable_car(). And the same (or maybe just
a similar) effect is triggered when the LPC is written.

Does that ring a bell? As I said, I'm pretty lost in debugging this, but
I'm sure we're not having a hardware issue.

Thanks,
Daniel