[coreboot] [RFC] CMOS options

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 20:39:40 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 2:57 AM, Andrew Goodbody
<andrew.goodbody at tadpole.com> wrote:
> Luc Verhaegen wrote:
>>
>> We have 892 bytes to our disposal in cmos. We can reserve 128 for
>> board/cmos versioning, and reserve even 256 for the bootloader, and still
>> have 512bytes left for coreboot options, which is tons when bits are used
>> properly and when strings are not used.
>
> Most boards I have used have a maximum space of 256 bytes that includes the
> RTC. Where does the extra come from?

On much of my hardware, the most I can assume is 128 bytes -
subtracting many bytes that are weirdly hardware controlled (such as
date).

Some of our hardware has 256 bytes.

The io ports only support an 8-bit address I thought?

That said, if newer parts really do have so much data, that is great news.

ron