[coreboot] fam10/newconfig on supermicro h8dme - early hang

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 22:30:21 CET 2009

> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 11:38:46AM -0700, Myles Watson wrote:
> > I would check the early startup code for the remote nodes.  It looks
> like
> > you hang right where it gets garbled for Knut.
>
> Hmm, yeah. So I tried enabling just one core by setting
>
> default CONFIG_MAX_PHYSICAL_CPUS=1
> default CONFIG_MAX_CPUS=1 * CONFIG_MAX_PHYSICAL_CPUS
> default CONFIG_LOGICAL_CPUS=1
I think you need to set CONFIG_LOGICAL_CPUS=0 to disable the siblings.  I
got it to compile by moving the nb_ function it can't find into the #endif
above it.

* AP 02 didn't start timeout:00000001
* AP 03 didn't start timeout:00000001

Begin FIDVID MSR 0xc0010071 0x30ae00a3 0x40034c40
FIDVID on BSP, APIC_id: 00
BSP fid = 10600
Wait for AP stage 1: ap_apicid = 1
fidvid_bsp_stage1: time out while reading from ap 01
Wait for AP stage 1: ap_apicid = 2
fidvid_bsp_stage1: time out while reading from ap 02
Wait for AP stage 1: ap_apicid = 3

It's still trying to start the APs.

> and by adding a return at the very beginning of start_other_cores in
>
>   cpu/amd/quadcore/quadcore.c
>
> which gets me a bit further, but not much. It hangs in the
> mcp55_early_pcie_setup function in
>
>   southbridge/nvidia/mcp55/mcp55_early_setup_car.c
>
> Log attached. Anything else I should try?

If inl and outl are hanging, I would dump the routing registers and read the
device's IDs to see what's going wrong.  I'm not very familiar with how the
fam10 code works, but dumping the routing registers should be mostly cut and
paste from the k8/util.c code.

Thanks,
Myles